2 September 2020
Join the OECD for the first-ever virtual launch of Education at a Glance
WorldSkills Champion, Yousra Assali will join the global conversation, 8 September to discuss the role of VET in the post-coronavirus world and what steps need to be taken.
Vocational education and training (VET) has been hit particularly hard by COVID-19. But we know that strong VET systems can play an important role to buffer the negative economic effects of the crisis, as we saw in 2008 where countries with strong VET systems were able to keep youth unemployment low, and in turn keep their economies moving.
The crisis has also highlighted just how far modern society relies on vital services such as manufacturing and healthcare, professions which require candidates to undergo specialised vocational training to secure a job. It has brought home more than ever the need for governments to review the role vocational education and training can play for those entering work.
Hosted by the OECD in collaboration with Education and Employers, the expert panel will discuss the role of VET in the post-coronavirus world and what steps need to be taken. Join the session 8 September 2020 at 12:00-13:00 (UK time).
- Andreas Schleicher, Director, OECD Directorate for Education and Skills
- Yousra Assali, WorldSkills Champions Trust Regional Representative, Middle East and North Africa
- Prisha Bathia, Digital Marketing Apprentice, Google UK
- Jennifer Coupland, Chief Executive, Institute for Apprenticeships and Technical Education, England
- Sebastian Henke, Director Human Resources, Optima, Germany
- Keith Smith, Director for Post 16 Skills and Strategy, Department for Education, England
- Moderated by Nick Chambers, Chief Executive, Education and Employers
For details on the webinar hosted by the OECD in collaboration with Education and Employers visit https://www.educationandemployers.org/education-at-glance-2020/.